Home > Caribbean > Aruba
(1) Picture by Michiel van der Veur
(2) Picture by Ephraim Martina
|DT||Diesel Truck (Since 1978)|
|H||Hire/Taxi (1950's only, replaced by "TX")|
Bus allowed to pick up passengers anywhere
Used with "B", "DT", "T" plates
Lago Colony was a community on the eastern end of Aruba in an area now called Seroe Colorado. The colony served, for the most part, as a company town for Lago Oil & Transport Company, Ltd., which owned and operated a refinery on the island.
Lago Oil was a subsidiary of Standard Oil Company (New Jersey), later known as Exxon Corporation.
At its peak, Lago Colony included about 700 homes for employees and their families and included a school, a hospital, a church, and a variety of social and recreational opportunities. Residents of the colony were mostly Americans but other nationalities were also represented.
The refinery, which began operating in 1924 as a trans-shipping facility for crude oil from Lake Maracaibo (Venezuela), was at one time the largest refinery complex in the world. The facility remained in operation until 1985 when Exxon moved to shut down and dismantle the refinery and Lago Colony. Parts of the facility were sold to the Aruban government and later to Coastal Petroleum. Though a much smaller operation today, Valero Energy Corporation now operates the refinery.
An undated license plate was issued to vehicles that did not go outside the concession.
Source: Briscoe Center for American History